Tuesday, February 14, 2017

# Post # Recipes

No-Flour, No-Fuss Chocolaty Goodness Cake

It's Too Yummy Tuesday!

On select Tuesdays I share delicious recipes either inspired by my books or that are just plain delicious!


After going pretty much off the rails with my diet over the holidays, I've been trying to be super good with my diet...and bam, Valentine's Day rolls around, taunting me with all its chocolaty goodness. I wanted a treat I could indulge without guilt, and this flourless chocolate cake is just the thing!

This batter whips right up in the food processor and produces one small round (9") cake that is fudgy and pretty dense, not tall and fluffy like other cakes. This I like, because the richness satisfies. After seeing the premise of a flourless/black bean cake elsewhere, I grabbed this version from the Hungry Girl website. I'm not a fan of the artificial sweetener she calls for, so I adjusted the sweetening here.  I'm also not opposed to egg yolks, especially coming from nice, fresh organic/cage free eggs. 

If you don't have applesauce on hand, double the amount of canned pumpkin and you should be okay. If you're out of pumpkin, on the other hand, doubling the applesauce will change the texture and affect this setting up a little. But you could give it a try. Maybe drain the applesauce a bit first? 

If you're not "too" concerned about calorie count, serve with whipped cream. I like strawberries sliced on top.

No-Flour, No-Fuss Chocolaty Goodness Cake

 Ingredients

One 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs OR 4 large egg whites
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar or alternate sweetener (honey, maple syrup)
1  1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like the Enjoy Life vegan chips)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a round cake pan (9-inch) with foil and grease generously (I use coconut oil. Gives a nice, bare hint of flavor...and I found it in spray form).  Put the above ingredients in a food processor except the chocolate chips, and pulse until batter is smooth.  Gently stir in 1 tbsp. of the chocolate chips. Spread mixture into pan, smoothing with spatula or back of a spoon. Evenly sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips, lightly pressing into batter. 

Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out pretty much clean, 35 - 40 minutes.  This will remain fudgy no matter what, so don't worry about a smidge of batter clinging to the toothpick. But if it's coated in the stuff, bake a little longer.

Let cool completely before cutting into this, if you can stand it. Otherwise you might find yourself digging in with a spoon. Enjoy!

~~~

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than thirty books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night. Connect with her on Twitter or Goodreads. She loves talking to people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: