Monday, February 9, 2015

# Mild-Mannered Mondays # Monday Musings

True Confessions and Writing Pitfalls-Monday Musings

Happy February! My, but January flew by in a big, hot hurry. 
It's been a while since I wrote a general "what's up" post, so I felt it was long overdue. 

WRITING STUFF
Last week I posted about getting back into a writing habit after a break. As with any of my "how to" posts, I am my own guinea pig for using the advice I pass along. So rest assured I dutifully worked up a new writing (cleaning, etc) schedule, posted it beside my writing chair, and determined to get back to business. 

My fancy shmancy Organized Writer schedule
So how did it go? True confession time, it's been a hit and miss thing. On the up side, I FINALLY succeeded in getting some new writing done--3/4 of a short story. Brigid's Awakening was intended as the first in the Sons of Herne series, a set of tales based around the 8 pagan holidays. As it had been  almost 9 months since I began a new writing project, this was good news indeed.

The not so great news is that I'd wanted to release this in time for the holiday it is centered around (Imbolc/Brigid's Day), but I didn't get it finished. Worse, last week derailed on my completely and I only got 3 sentences written. Yes, sentences. Not chapters or even scenes. So as far as getting back in my old groove goes, there are still many miles to go. But I'm pleased that after the better part of a year, I am at least back on the road.


LIFE AND OTHER STUFF

My main house on the Vanilla Life Minecraft server
Since today's post seems to involve some true confessions, let me make this announcement: My name is J. Rose, and I'm a Minecraft addict. User name= MomWritesFiction.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't get writing done because I play Minecraft. I play Minecraft because I've been unable to write. Writing is my natural state of being, and I would jump right out of my skin without some other creative outlet. This is likely why, for the first time in years, I dug out the knitting needles over the holidays and went project-crazy: scarves, ear warmers--and yes, even crocheted soap cozies with little scrubber nubbies on the back. 

Anyway, Minecraft is the new black right now, and I suspect it may continue that way until the writing dam finally bursts. Then MC may likely join the archives of former "writing downtime" pursuits, like The Sims. That's how I am when it comes to video games. I binge hard for a while, then I'll go a year or two without touching a game. We'll see.

This coming week I'd initially planned to ditch Brigid's Awakening for the time being and move onto a new Sons of Herne focused on the next sabbat on the calendar (Ostara). But I've been thinking perhaps it isn't ideal to wait and release each tale seasonally with their related holiday. Maybe one a month is a better option. And of course, the sooner they're out, the sooner I can also offer the whole series in an anthology. Hmm. 

~~~
On select Mondays, I like to gab about writing or whatever's going on with me. For more gab, please join me on Twitter or Facebook. I love talking to people!

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: