Sunday, September 20, 2015

# #8 Sunday # Post

A Season of Light -Snippet Sunday

~~Warning: Mature themes~~

On Sundays, I share tidbits of my works in progress as part of Weekend Warrior’s 8-Sentence Sunday.  

This week, I'm still working on my Sons of Herne series, which will be a set of short fantasy tales focused around the eight pagan sabbats and the seductive gods appointed to oversee them. I still haven't decided on a title for the Yule story I'm writing first. Last week, I shared the opening snippet, where Dominus was on a walk through the winter woods. Today we'll move forward just a few sentences to discover what he's up to. 


Dominus raised his forearm near his face, leaning it against the nearest pine tree while he observed the cottage for signs of activity. The hour grew late on the eve of Yule, but many humans celebrated their seasonal festivities long into December nights. Some, including those who kept the old ways, marked the rebirth of the sun by staying awake all through the longest night of the year, the Winter Solstice, keeping vigil until the break of dawn proclaimed in the physical world what Dominus would achieve in the metaphysical.
Another season of light would be brought forth by a meshing of souls—one from each realm—but Dominus could not simply choose any female he wished from the earth realm. She must be one impregnated with the light of a Beltane fire.
Dominus thought of his last visit to her, how he had stood at her bedside, whispering ancient secrets while her hair spilled across her pillow and her round curves beckoned. His male need flared into a sharp ache at her beauty, urging him to plunge his fingers through that silken hair and run his tongue over every sultry dip and swell on her body. He never touched her—he could not.
A figure passed by the sheer curtain drawn halfway across the front window, and his pulse quickened.

Lorayna.


So, what do you think?

~ * ~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ *~ * ~ *~ *

For more awesome snippets, check out 

~~~~
I'm J. Rose Allister, wife, working mom, and the author of over twenty-five books. Somewhere in between one and the next, I love hanging out here on my blog and over on Twitter. Give me a comment or follow-I love chatting with people!

20 comments:

  1. Interesting. This passage makes me wonder why he can't touch her -- is he a spirit and physically unable to do so, or is he holding himself back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece has such a sense of mystery and your writing flows beautifully throughout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope to extend the mystery a bit, but not for too much longer. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful writing, Rose. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lush snippet, beautiful use of words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that feedback! It's funny how the draft is flowing out a lot like my very early style.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of this. Such a great setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by, Eleri! I'm pretty excited about this series.

      Delete
  6. Great hook--won't or can't touch her?

    I love the mythology here. I'd definitely read more, Rose.

    I'm really glad you're back writing. Seems the writer's block is beaten. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It was quite a battle, that darned writer's block. Whew!
      Can't or won't...or both, hmmmm...

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed the imagery and restraint you use in this passage; it's an attractive balance. Pagan sabats, seductive gods, a yule time story--you're hitting all the bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that insight, Ed! Always appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
  8. Nice weave of setting, emotions and information. Flows very smoothly and ends on a mysterious, breathless note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, somehow I'm finding the way you worded your comment very much fits what you just described! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  9. Nice job with this snippet. Good imagery and emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow, I think things won't go like he expects this year . . .

    ReplyDelete

Visits To This Blog: