Sunday, September 27, 2015

# #8 Sunday # Post

Gods Still at Work -Snippet Sunday

~~Warning: Mature themes~~

On Sundays, I share tidbits of my works in progress as part of Weekend Warrior’s 8-Sentence Sunday.  

Still no title for my Yule story, the first in a series of short stories based around eight sons of Herne, pagan gods appointed to oversee the sabbats. Last week, Dominus was thinking of the seductive earth female he had prepared to become the sun bearer in his Yule ritual.  We move straight on from the end of last week's snippet, which finished with a single word: Lorayna.

Dominus heard her name dance through his thoughts, and try though he might, he could not wave it away. He typically preferred not to know the names of the women whose light he released. There was little point in it, for he would not see nor know anything of the females once his mission was complete. For their part, the women would know nothing of him, either. The majority of human consciousness was blissfully unaware that their world sat tightly against a realm of immortals and magic, nor did they care to know just how much their gods were still at work to this day, walking the woods, tending to fields and lusty lasses, and generally keeping their worlds in balance.
Laughter rose to his ears, and he drew back instinctively behind the cover of trees. Humans would not see him while he wore the veil charm, rare few, anyway, but he felt it best not to chance it. The door to the cottage opened and several people spilled out, happy and carefree and followed by a waft of alcohol that was apparent to his keen, supernatural senses. Then came the presence he sought--Lorayna, standing in the doorway with a wide smile that tightened Dominus’s chest.


So, what do you think?

~ * ~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ *~ * ~ *~ *

For more awesome snippets, check out 

~~~~
I'm J. Rose Allister, wife, working mom, and the author of over twenty-five books. Somewhere in between one and the next, I love hanging out here on my blog and over on Twitter. Give me a comment or follow-I love chatting with people!

16 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Rose. You brought this reader right into the woods to watch the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man that doesn't want to know the names of the women he's graced. Very nice. He seems very mysterious. A well-written snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Dominus will be walking away so easily from this lady! Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful description and intriguing world building! Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You slip in some background info very smoothly. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being sneaky when I can, LOL. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  6. Maybe this is one woman he won't be able to walk away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not without some unforeseen consequences for him, anyway!

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I'm not sure I like that he does whatever he does and they don't know. I wonder if she'd be able to see him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gray areas are there, and will be dealt with. Nice feedback (and something I asked myself back when I started outlining the series) :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment!

      Delete

Visits To This Blog: