Tuesday, September 22, 2015

# Paleo # Post

Simply Scrumptious Sauteed Beets

It's Too Yummy Tuesday!

On select Tuesdays I share delicious recipes either inspired by my books or that are just plain delicious!


The past couple of weeks I've posted recipes involving several steps and quite a few ingredients, not to mention more sugar than I normally eat these days. So today I thought I'd change things up with something quick, easy, and so good!

As part of my personal challenge to eat healthier, I've been exploring vegetables I'd either never eaten or hated as a kid and never tried again. The honey-sriracha brussels sprouts I posted a few weeks back was one such experiment, and today's is another. I'm officially a veggie convert!

If you've been shying away from beets, they are nutritious and have heart-healthy antioxidants and cholesterol-lowering properties--so give them a try! This recipe may help change your mind about them. The cooking does involve two steps--first boiling til tender, then into a skillet for some sauteed deliciousness--but that small extra effort is well worth it. With just a few simple ingredients, the beet flavor is delicate and shines nicely. Don't skip out on using the beet tops! I was highly skeptical about doing it, but I found I almost enjoyed the flavor of the greens more than the beets themselves. Quite nice.

Simply Scrumptious Sauteed Beets


Ingredients

1 lb beets with top greens
Boiling water
Small amount of oil for sauteeing (I love coconut oil for this, but olive oil is great too)
Salt to taste
A sprinkling of garlic powder (optional)


Directions

Wash beets and cut off greens; reserve. Cut into quarters (no need to peel yet) and place in boiling water. Boil gently for about 20 minutes until fork tender. While boiling, chop greens and set aside. Drain beets and (carefully) remove peels. They will come off easily!

Heat a medium skillet with a small amount of oil until hot. Sautee beets for 1 minute, then add greens. Salt to taste and add garlic powder, if using. Sautee until greens are wilted.

Serves 2-4 (or just me, as I'm happy to chow down on this for dinner, then lunch the next day!)


Enjoy!
~~~

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night. Connect with her on Twitter or Goodreads. She loves talking to people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: