Monday, September 9, 2013

# Life # Mild-Mannered Mondays

Bacon Cupcakes and Zombie Flamingos: A Week in Review


I haven’t done a general update post for a while, so I thought I’d tell you how my version of The Writing Schedule You Need RIGHT NOW is going and some of the weird things I did last week.

Cupcakes at Sweet Treats by MP Couture...YUM!
Those of you following my posts know I’d gotten very little writing done since moving to the new place. No Bueno. Writing isn’t just something I do as a fun way to make a buck, it’s a necessary creative flow that keeps my outlook on life fresh. When I don’t write, I get antsy. Then I get worried. THEN I get downright crabby and no fun to be around. In short, not writing=not good.

I’m happy to say that since revamping my schedule, writing is back in a flow. I’ve almost completed DISORDERLY COWBOYS—just one chapter left! And in the meantime the house stayed clean, laundry and shopping got done. And I had a good time researching ideas for my “fun” free time slots on the calendar. I’ve already gone to the movies, the natural history museum, caught up on some reading, and got hooked on a new (to me) TV show--Merlin. That last one was courtesy of my oldest daughter…thanks Lisa!

Zombie flamingo--what's not to love?
Mike’s birthday was Sunday, so all weekend we let him pick whatever random things he wanted to do. Among our many stops was a gourmet cupcake run through torrential rain and flash flooding. It was totally worth it! The pancakes-and-bacon and PB&J cupcakes were out of this world. (Very not on my paleo diet, but hey, it was a birthday!). We also hit up the Halloween store, and I am SO getting this zombie flamingo to put out on our front walk next month! And Sunday, we drove out to old town Monrovia to take pictures in front of the house used in filming the 1980’s horror flick House. The Victorian home is considered a historic landmark and has been kept the same as it looked in the movie, which was cool.
1986 horror flick "House" was filmed here

I’m pretty pleased as punch that I’ve gotten back on track with the flow of things, especially with making time for fun. Mike totally laughs at me that I have to “schedule” time for fun, but hey, I’m a wife, mother, AND a writer. I’d put my own fun off indefinitely if not for planned spontaneity!


This week I’m hoping to finish DISORDERLY COWBOYS and give it a good polish before sending it off to the publisher. As for fun, I have a video game day slated, and I want to hopefully catch a showing of Elysium. A library trip will be a must as well. Ooh, and I’m going to start prepping a blog post (potentially a series, we’ll see) on how to adapt my personal organizing strategy as a NaNoWriMo survival schedule. Stay tuned, and have a great week!

~~~~
On Mondays, I gab about whatever's going on. For more gab, please join me on Twitter or Goodreads. I love talking to people!

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: