Monday, June 30, 2014

# Mild-Mannered Mondays # Monday Musings

My Birthday Gift to Myself


Click here to get more Birthday Cake Greetings from MasterGreetings.com
It's my birthday week!
Last week on my Monday post, I talked about how my much-needed trip to the beach prompted some soul-searching on how much pressure I put on myself as a writer/mother/wife/homeschooler/working gal/etcetera. So this week, when I finally sat down to redo my Organized Writer schedule, I decided to give myself the birthday gift of not cracking the whip over my own back quite so much. 

There are times as a writer when I have to push past busy schedules, writer's block, and lack of sleep to get an story on paper. There are other times when I need to stop the merry-go-round and wait until the dizziness passes before I can get back on track. That's where I'm at right now. I'd signed up for CampNaNoWriMo, which kicks off tomorrow, but unless my muse suddenly wakes up July 1 with a story bursting out of his chest like a bad remake of Alien, I'm leaning toward not participating. This is especially true as it appears I'll be flying out to Texas in a couple weeks to visit my ailing mother.

So, while I'm still working on my current projects, I've eased up a little bit on my "do or die" deadline schedule. My app WILL be coming soon, but I didn't want to rush to release it until I complete the exclusive content I'm excited to be offering. Same with the birthday club, which I'd hoped to open for signups this week. My free story gift is still in the works, and it's surprising me as it shapes up to be a nifty and longer tale than I'd originally envisioned.


Paleo brownies and locally grown berries. Yum!
Other stuff this week: My kid has an ear infection, poor thing. Came on suddenly right after the pool party. Beyond that, I've been on a cooking kick lately. I made Paleo brownies that were awesome!  As soon as I'm finished writing this post, I'm going to make some Paleo pancakes with strawberry compote. Yum.

Ah, True Blood, why are you teasing me? This final season gives me little of the storylines I was interested in and too much "huh?" the rest of the time. Still, I'm hanging on. Teen Wolf's opener, while it kept me intrigued, had a lot of "huh?" factor as well. 

WRITING STUFF

I've been studying Holly Lisle's Writing Flash Fiction That Doesn't Suck workshop. Pretty good info. And I got a bit of short story work done, along with some outlining on my upcoming Sons of Herne short story series.


~~~~
On select Mondays, I like to gab about whatever's going on with me. For more gab, please join me on Twitter or Facebook. I love talking to people!

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: