From time to time I showcase other authors and books on my blog. Today I'm happy to have Margo Bond Collins, who's stopping by to share her latest book and give us her Top Ten.
The Top Ten Best Things About Writing Contemporary Romance
A Guest Post by Margo Bond Collins
This month, my debut contemporary romance novella, Taming the Country Star, is being released by Entangled Publishing. This book is the kick-off for the forthcoming Hometown Heroes series, set in Fort Worth, Texas. It’s also the first romance novel I’ve written, and I had a fabulous time learning to be a romance author after writing paranormal mysteries and urban fantasies!
In no particular order, here’s my list of the top ten things I love about writing in the contemporary romance genre:
1. The happy endings! I love being not only able, but required, to come up with a story that ends with an HEA or an HFN.
2. The dreamy heroes. My Hometown Heroes series (kicking off with the novella Taming the Country Star) is all about men who are both strong and kind. And sexy. Don’t forget sexy.
3. Creating strong heroines. Far too many of the romances I read when I was younger included women who weren’t able to take care of themselves. The women in my romances are strong enough to match the men who love them!
4. The quirky sidekicks. I definitely drew upon the romantic comedy tradition to create the sidekick characters in this book. You’ll be seeing more of them in later books, so it was great fun to make sure they were interesting here, too.
5. Writing about home. All of my other books are set in fairly exotic (to me) locations. In this series, I’m writing about Fort Worth, Texas and the surrounding area—the places I see every day. Although this won’t always be true in my romance novels, I’m currently enjoying the chance to write about the city I love.
6. Writing about things that are really possible. My other books are all paranormal in some way—they include ghosts and vampires and other out-of-this-world characters. I enjoyed taking a break from the occult to write about things that might really happen.
7. Stretching my writing muscles. I love adding to the genres in which I can write! Contemporary romance requires an eye for the real, the possible, the love that surrounds us. Like most writers, I immerse myself in the world of the work in progress. Writing contemporary romance means I can spend my time in a world of love—and that meant changing my writing style a bit for this series.
8. Meeting other romance authors. As a result of beginning to write contemporary romance, I’ve joined several online groups and become friends with a number of other romance authors. I’ve been impressed by how welcoming the community is and I’m looking forward to meeting a number of my new friends in person!
9. Meeting some of the women who read romance novels. I’ve been astounded and delighted by how many romance-novel readers are willing to reach out and say hello, or that they enjoyed the book, or that they’re looking forward to the series—or all of the above! The community of romance readers has been every bit as welcoming as the community of romance writers.
10. Did I mention the sexy heroes? Yum. . .
Taming the Country Star
by Margo Bond Collins
He'll do anything to win her heart. She'll do anything to keep him away.
Country star Cole Grayson is in town, and Kylie Andrews is less than thrilled. As if months of changing the radio station and tearing down his posters weren’t bad enough, now she has to deal with a town of fans swarming toward the man who deceived her the year before. But when Kylie’s eyes meet Cole’s again, she can’t deny the electric chemistry that drew her to him the first time around.
Cole Grayson is on a mission. Ever since Kylie left him, he hasn’t been able to forget her sweet country smile. After writing a song just for her, he sets off for her hometown to prove he’s not the player she thinks he is. But as much as Cole can’t forget her, Kylie wonders if she can forgive him…
Nook US: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/taming-the-country-star-margo-bond-collins/1119610297?ean=9781622661664
Kindle Worldwide: http://bookShow.me/B00KK4DORC
Margo Bond Collins is the author of contemporary romance, urban fantasy, and paranormal mysteries. She has published a number of novels, including Taming the Country Star, Legally Undead, Waking Up Dead, and Fairy, Texas. She lives in Texas with her husband, their daughter, and several spoiled pets. Although writing fiction is her first love, she also teaches college-level English courses online. She enjoys reading romance and paranormal fiction of any genre and spends most of her free time daydreaming about heroes, monsters, cowboys, and villains, and the strong women who love them. She currently writes for Entangled’s Red-Hot Bliss line.
Connect with Margo
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/author/margobondcollins
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MargoBondCollin @MargoBondCollin
Goodreads Author Page: http://www.goodreads.com/vampirarchy
Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/MargoBondCollins