Monday, August 24, 2015

# Mild-Mannered Mondays # Monday Musings

Weird Writing Tip #1 -Chick Anthems


In my 15 or so years as a writer, I've used all sorts of tips, tricks, and techniques to help keep the words flowing. Some tips were obvious, others simple but effective. A few were just, well, kind of weird. Whatever works, I say, and to that end, I thought I'd start sharing Weird Writing Tips that have helped me.

Chick Anthems

What's a chick anthem? It's a song that empowers and motivates women. They don't have to be sung by chicks, but many are. Guys have anthems as well. Eye of the Tiger is an example of a pump-you-up, motivational song. My husband has it on his workout playlist.  And heck yeah, ladies can use this as an anthem as readily as guys can get pumped listening to my chosen Katy Perry anthem (see below).

Gotta get pumped to write!
What's weird about music as inspiration? After all, many writers listen to music while writing. I select pieces that fit the mood of the scene I'm writing (preferably instrumentals so I don't get caught up in the lyrics instead of my own prose). But I'm not talking about playing music for atmosphere while writing. I'm talking about getting amped up and motivated to sit down and write in the first place. Now, I listen to music that will get me feeling powerful, positive, and ready to tackle anything before I get rolling. Chick anthems are great for this, and put me in a go-getter frame of mind.

So the weird tip is: Listen to pump-you-up chick (or guy) anthems BEFORE sitting down to a writing session.

Another "weird" thing about today's tip is that I didn't learn it from a writer. I saw it on videos about how to be a successful YouTube vlogger. (I was doing research for my tween, who is studying vlogs as a school elective.) Successful vloggers recommend getting "amped" to produce their work by listening to upbeat music, dancing around, etc. ahead of time. I figured if it worked for them, it was worth a shot for me...and it has definitely been useful.

This week's chick anthem is great for getting in the mood to kick some writing butt--Roar by Katy Perry:



So put on your best anthems and let 'em hear you roar with your next writing session!

~~~
On select Mondays, I like to gab about writing or whatever's going on with me. For more gab, please join me on Twitter or Facebook. I love talking to people!

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: