Wednesday, July 20, 2016

# On Writing # Post

Change Your Scenery to Boost Writing Productivity

On Select Wednesdays, I post tips and strategies for writers. 

CHANGE YOUR SCENERY TO BOOST WRITING PRODUCTIVITY
by J. Rose Allister

Writers can be creatures of habit. In fact, a good deal of writing wisdom suggests that routine plays a vital role in  productivity. Writing at the same time of day, in the same place, with "ritual" accompaniments (a cup of coffee in a I Heart Writing mug, inspiring music, your lucky writing shirt) all help to train the creative portion of your brain to recognize that the starting pistol has gone off. Time To Write.

I'm a firm believer in this type of ritual. Establishing effective writing habits greatly boosted my own word count. But as a creative medium, there are times when breaking out of the mold can help spark a better flow, inspire a sluggish brain to perk up and take notice of ideas all around us.


GET OUT AND WRITE


From time to time (on a schedule, if you must), pick up that laptop/notebook and take your writing session to a new location.  This needn't be an exotic Bali island hideaway (though I'll certainly cast a vote for it). A simple trip down the street will do. The point is to give yourself a change of scenery, a fresh perspective from which to write. Suggestion settings:

Awesome library..had my first author headshots done here!
Library
Backyard
Park
Beach
Mountains
Museum
Mall
Friend's yard
Local historical site
Bookstore
Your apartment/condo's clubhouse
Bed and breakfast
Hotel
Coffee House

Writing here...a heavenly idea!
Ideally, your change of scenery place will not be too busy or distracting, especially if, like me, you find yourself easily diverted. I find malls and coffee shops great places for people watching and research, but for actual writing, well, I get distracted in places where Stuff Is Happening.  Hence why my current getaway this week is a private cabin in the mountains, rented specifically for the purpose of getting a writing boost.  My creative side--and my word count--has never been happier.

Next time you're feeling stifled by routine, change your scenery. It might even be more effective than chocolate. Although in my case, I like to double the odds by having chocolate while at the change of scenery. No point in taking chances. 
Writing on the deck of a mountain cabin was awesome!

~*~*~*~
For more gab, please join me on Twitter or Facebook. I love talking to people!

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: