Thursday, October 17, 2013

# 10 Day Writing Challenge # On Writing

Converting People Into Writers -10 Day challenge day 3

I'm participating in the 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge that was created over at Hunting Down Writing.

Day 3: Introduce yourself with your writer bio

I can condense my writer bio into one sentence: I'm so gun-ho about fiction writing that I convinced my spouse he should do it too. 

Hang around me for long and I might be giving you "the pitch"--writing is fun, it's free, and it's for you! I swear, when a co-worker of mine retired over the summer, I was THIS close to picking up a copy of No Plot? No Problem! as a gift and including a note that now she had time to write a novel.

Over the years I've showcased fledgling writers in a flash fiction ezine, judged emerging talent in contests, encouraged numerous people to finish--and publish--the novels bouncing around in their heads, and mentored writers of all ages during NaNoWriMo. One might think with this penchant I have for encouraging up and comers, I might be better suited as a writing coach or an editor. However, I'll admit the person I most want to encourage to write is me.

My enthusiasm for converting people into writers aside, I'm as excited to tackle my next book as I was to dive into writing the first. Maybe it's because entertainment is in my blood (since I grew up in a show biz family), or maybe it's just that I never outgrew my childhood love of a good story, but for me, writing is the ultimate form of interactive reading. Not only do I get to watch a new story unfold, but I can sometimes nudge it the way I want it to go. That said, I also often find myself as surprised as my readers when a plot or character does the unexpected. And after fourteen years of writing fiction, my muse is no better behaved than he was when we first met. It could be that not knowing what he's up to next is what's kept me so inspired to craft the next tale!


~~~
J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night. Connect with her on Twitter or Facebook. She loves talking to people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: