Monday, October 3, 2016

# Monday Musings # Post

Halloween, Holiday Reads, and Hard Decisions

On the first Monday of each month I gab about what's going on with me, my writing, and life in general.

Happy October! This is that time when the holidays are about to race by me in a wild, chaotic blur. Hopefully, I'll be organized enough to get all the things done that I want before I realize that it's over for another year!

In any case, I've got a lot in front of me this month. Do you find October a busy time too?

Halloween

Halloween is a favorite time of year around our house! My favorite part is decorating. While I don't get to go as hog wild as I'd like living in our current location, I like visiting the Halloween Superstore to check out the latest animatronics. For dad and daughter, costumes are a year-round hobby, so deciding what to wear and where to show it off is a big part of the festivities. Bri likes to hop around from one character to the next, trying on different costume ideas until finding one that truly fits. Which is a lot like my writing career, come to think of it. More on that in a minute.

Holiday Reads

This time of year, I get in the mood for some good holiday-themed reading. Witches, vampires, and werewolves in October. Fall themes, "giving thanks," and historicals in November (I suppose because the month makes me think back to another era). And wintry, snowy tales of holiday romance in December. Do you have any suggestions for good holiday reads for me? Drop me a comment. 

If you get in that same reading mood, I certainly have my fair share of October-ready titles to offer you. Check these out:

*Bewitching Love (set in a beach town, but a naughty witch and vampires, so yeah! Also a great one if you like secret baby reads...)
*Her Full Moon Cowboys (my all-time bestseller!)

...and my hawt Samhain romance, Archipellus: God of Samhain, is coming out in the next couple of weeks. Just in time!

For a Thanksgiving-themed read, there's my newest Sons of Herne, Anduron: God of Mabon.  And if you're ready to fast forward to the winter holidays, I have a fun vampire one called Holidays Bite. Guaranteed to steam up the windows on a chilly winter's night!  Or grab Dominus: God of Yule for free!

Speaking of free holiday reads, I'll be offering a Halloween short this Friday that you won't want to miss! Stop by the blog to check it out.

Hard Decisions

I need your help! I'm making some important decisions related to my books in the coming year (and beyond), and your input would be quite valuable.

As I wrap up Sons of Herne and begin planning upcoming projects, I've been reflecting on the different subgenres I write. I mentioned before how my daughter likes to spend time trying on different costumes before settling on one, and that defines my writing career in a nutshell.

Dear readers, I am here to confess. J. Rose Allister has been a steaming melting pot of hot romance. Sometimes I hanker for everyday heroes. Then it's gods and fantasy. Or I'll want to dive into the dark worlds of vampires and werewolves. I'm trying on genre costumes to see what fits. Trouble is, I like them all. But that doesn't mean my readers do.

I've been lumping books under my J. Rose Allister pen based on heat level rather than subgenre. Now I want readers to have a clearer understand of what they're getting from me, so I'm considering multiple hot romance pen names.

Should I divvy up my romance into contemporary and paranormal/fantasy pen names? Comment here or take the survey in the sidebar to let me know your thoughts. (Or, if you have thoughts to share privately, email me at jroseallister AT gmail DOT com.)  Thanks for your input!

~*~*~*~
On select Mondays, I like to gab about whatever's going on with me. For more gab, please join me on Twitter or Facebook. I love talking to people!

J. Rose Allister is the author of more than twenty-five books, primarily romance and erotic romance. A former editor and submissions director, she now works as a mild-mannered hospital secretary by day, naughty writer by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: