Sunday, November 4, 2018

# NaNoWriMo # On Writing

NaNoWriMo 2018 Day 4: Adventures in Daylight Savings

I'll be posting daily updates about my experiences doing November's National Novel Writing Challenge.

Throughout November I'm posting my daily updates and favorite lines written as I draft my new book, Heat of the Dragon. I'll also post the treat I got to open each day as part of my NaNoWriMo advent calendar box.


Daily Notes:

NaNoWriMo has 2 word count goals: the big 50k goal for the month, and a daily goal of 1,667 words in order to get there. While I'm currently in fine shape to hit the big goal, I was short the daily count when I did the 9pm group sprint. Not willing to abide that, I wrote more before the drive home and passed the goal.  

Then there was this morning. ::facepalm:: When my alarms went off (I set two in case one doesn't ring), I did my usual "I'll just doze a few more minutes" thing. When my eye peeked open again, the wall clock showed I'd slept an additional hour and fifteen minutes. Panicked, I shot up and debated whether to make coffee first or dive into writing straight away. (Coffee won. Coffee always wins.) I plopped down at the laptop, cursed my lack of writerly discipline, and checked in with my local NaNo group's chat room. Folks were talking about Daylight Savings...and then it dawned on me. A glance at the computer clock confirmed that I hadn't overslept. I just hadn't changed the wall clock yet. 

Feeling vindicated, I jumped into some word smithing. Not willing to face the possibility of falling short on word count today, I pounded out more than the daily goal during the morning session. Any additional writing I do today will be icing on the yummy cake of dragon romance. Which I'm already enjoying, by the way. I'm almost through with Chapter Two, where we meet Tristan, who is quite an intense  (and, of course, handsome) character. His lovely and plucky heroine, Jessica, has been fun to write as well.

Daily Word Count: 3327 (since last post time- only 3 words off Day 3's count!)

Daily Goody Treat:


Treat bag #4: First, a correction from yesterday's treat report: the cute "marshmallow" piggie turned out to be one of those little squeezable stress relief thingies! I took it to work and had fun squishing it throughout the day. His name is now Squishy, and he will be my Squishy. (Yes, a Finding Nemo reference!)
Okay, today's treat: A chocolate truffle, yay! I look forward to those. A red wrapper this time, wondering if that means a different flavor. And today's quote card is by Evelyn Mary Dunbar: "We are each gifted in unique and important ways. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light."


Progress to Date:


Favorite Line Written Today: 
I danced for her then, not for the great spirit, not for the pow-wow judges, not for anyone else. I was a bird of prey dancing for one purpose...to impress a mate.

About this year's NaNo, Heat of the Dragon:

For years, Tristan stayed away from his destined mate to protect her from the dragon nature even his native medicine practices can't control. Battling the beast grows harder with each passing day, especially since returning to the town where Jessica is close enough to touch. Her nearness triggers more heat than he can handle, and the spirit of his grandfather warns the consequences could be fatal.  Visions of a new threat to Jessica will force him to face the woman he ran from, but how can he save her when he can't tame the fiery dragon lurking inside? 

Book 2 of the Kiss of the Dragon series.

~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ *~ * ~ *~ 

I'm J. Rose Allister, wife, working mom, and the author of over thirty-five books. Somewhere in between one and the next, I love talking to fellow book lovers. Check out my website at http://jroseallister.com, or visit my Facebook page if you'd like to connect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: