Friday, November 16, 2018

# NaNoWriMo # On Writing

NaNoWriMo 2018 Day 16: The NaNo Coaster

Daily updates about my experiences doing November's National Novel Writing Challenge.

Day 16

Progress to Date:
54320/50000


Favorite Line(s) Written Today: 
He had pulled his hair back in a braid, circling his forehead with a band of fabric that was soon pasted to him with sweat. Rivulets ran down his chest, but he kept drumming, kept calling for the purification of his spirit and for the guidance and control to keep his dragon at bay.

It was during the fifth song, during a steady pattern of drums and a call to the grandfather spirit, the great Wakan Tanka, that the steam rising from the rocks began to dance. The puffs of steam appeared to catch fire, but that wasn't the case. He was having a vision.

Daily Notes:


Oh man, from highs to lows! After my 50k celebration, I was promptly kicked around by a super stressful and busy shift at the hospital. I never had time to order food, so dinner break was a hastily inhaled bag of snack crisps and an emergency yogurt that I had stashed in the staff fridge (yay for that!). It was the first day in the challenge that I missed out on doing any group word sprints. Ye Olde Word Count suffered a little, and I managed just under 2k.

Having heard of my work-slash-food plight via text, my husband welcomed me back with homemade spaghetti (but a clean kitchen for the win). And he'd put up some pretty bows on our patio, the next step in our seasonal decor. That lifted my spirits too. And thanks to the wonder that is online shopping, we've got most of this year's gifts already ordered and en route. What a godsend during NaNo, getting a jumpstart on the holidays without having to leave the keyboard!

I have today off from work, so time to snuggle up with a soft new blanket and catch up on some word count! Chapter Nine continues, with the hero currently undergoing a native ritual in search of guidance to help him tame his inner dragon. But can he? ::cue the ritual drumming::

Daily Word Count: 1,997 (since last post time.)

Daily Goody Treat:

Treat bag #16: A chocolate truffle, which I get to eat two of since I squirreled yesterday's away in an uncharacteristic show of restraint! Today's quote card is from John Muir: "The sun shines not on us but in us."

About this year's NaNo, Heat of the Dragon:

For years, Tristan stayed away from his destined mate to protect her from the dragon nature even his native medicine practices can't control. Battling the beast grows harder with each passing day, especially since returning to the town where Jessica is close enough to touch. Her nearness triggers more heat than he can handle, and the spirit of his grandfather warns him that the consequences could be fatal.  Visions of a new threat to Jessica will force him to face the woman he ran from, but how can he save her when he can't tame the fiery dragon lurking inside? 

Book 2 of the Kiss of the Dragon series.

~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ *~ * ~ *~ 

I'm J. Rose Allister, wife, working mom, and the author of over thirty-five books. Somewhere in between one and the next, I love talking to fellow book lovers. Check out my website at http://jroseallister.com, or visit my Facebook page if you'd like to connect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: