Tuesday, November 6, 2018

# NaNoWriMo # On Writing

NaNoWriMo 2018 Day 6: Official First (Missed) Write-In

I'll be posting daily updates about my experiences doing November's National Novel Writing Challenge.

Throughout November I'm posting my daily updates and favorite lines written as I draft my new book, Heat of the Dragon. I'll also post the treat I got to open each day as part of my NaNoWriMo advent calendar box.


Daily Notes:

Local groups host write-ins during NaNoWriMo. It's so fun to sit with other writers while we work on on our books, and it's a double win since these write-ins often happen at coffee houses. Two of my favorite things combined...where's the bad? However, I've only attended a handful over the years, either because of my work schedule or distance to the event. This year, I was thrilled to learn of a Tuesday write-in close by AND at a convenient time. HA! "Nothing can stop me this time," I told myself and anyone else who would listen.

Then life laughed and said, "Challenge accepted."

Came out of work late last night to discover a flat tire. The donut spare couldn't make a long highway trip home, and AAA couldn't tow me until 5 am. I figured I'd just wait it out and get it fixed in the morning. I spent a chilly night in the backseat listening to writing podcasts and grabbing catnaps until the tire place opened. Got back to town around 9:30 rumpled and bleary eyed, reunited with my worried family, and passed out with the dog curled up beside me. 

No surprise that my word count went as flat as that tire, but I'll do a couple group sprints later tonight to help make up for it. I've crossed 15k for the challenge thus far, so I'm still in good shape. Plus I learned a valuable lesson. When you commute farther away than a donut spare can get you home, it's time to invest in a real spare tire. Also a blanket, a travel pillow, and possibly a built-in coffee dispenser for the backseat.

Daily Word Count: 1785 (since last post time)

Daily Goody Treat:

Treat bag #6: A shimmering beacon of hope in a challenging day, I woke up this afternoon and dove into today's treat bag. Ready to spare me from my trials (pun intended) was the Daily Chocolate Truffle...cue the heavenly choir music! Today's quote is from James Garner: "Believe in yourself and everything you can be."

Progress to Date:


Favorite Line Written Today: 
The vintage clothing she loved spanned across decades, even centuries, but in her mind they all represented the same thing: a rich history where women dressed for elegant lives and the men were chivalrous, dapper heroes. More like knights in shining armor than cheating narcissists in football uniforms.

About this year's NaNo, Heat of the Dragon:

For years, Tristan stayed away from his destined mate to protect her from the dragon nature even his native medicine practices can't control. Battling the beast grows harder with each passing day, especially since returning to the town where Jessica is close enough to touch. Her nearness triggers more heat than he can handle, and the spirit of his grandfather warns the consequences could be fatal.  Visions of a new threat to Jessica will force him to face the woman he ran from, but how can he save her when he can't tame the fiery dragon lurking inside? 

Book 2 of the Kiss of the Dragon series.

~ *~ * ~ * ~ *~ *~ * ~ *~ 

I'm J. Rose Allister, wife, working mom, and the author of over thirty-five books. Somewhere in between one and the next, I love talking to fellow book lovers. Check out my website at http://jroseallister.com, or visit my Facebook page if you'd like to connect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits To This Blog: